Saturday, August 28, 2010

Fishing the ecosystem...and observing a phenomenon home

 Epic day o fishing yet again this time accompanied by Austin and Jason. As I wait for them to show I scope the water with my worm. Near instantly a sculpin falls pray to my trickery. 
 
Sculpin
Jason and Austin showez up and the fishing continues. I demonstrate the quickness of sculpin hunting by tossing a worm into the flow and yanking out one of the critters. 
Austin unimpressed plops his spinner through the scum on the surface of the still sections. A few reels and alas! he pulls a large steel head trout. Upon becoming unhooked, the animal makes a premature escape and ends up stuck in grass between some plywood structure and the cement wall. I clamor down breaking the plywood and falling into the pond but in the end succeed in saving the fish from a fate of death.

The fishing continues...Austin and I catch some sculpin and a baby lil green sunfish while jason frustratingly attempts to get his first bite. As Austin hangs his line he exclaims "alas, a turtle!".
I investigate but see no evidence of such a beast.

"You must bee seeing things, you sure it wasn't a sculpin?"

Him: "I seens what I seens"

A few minuets more...

"I have caught the thing!" Austin proclaims with glee.

Not wanting to injure the reptile by hauling it by the neck up to our height I volunteer to clamber (once again) down to his. I secure him upside down but he is quite persistent in defending his neck with snapping strikes. That beak doesn't look like something I want my finger in. The hook is right on the side of the mouth, an easy operation thank god. We took his picture and let him go free where he was caught. 
Tis not only fish that can be caught through fishing methods.

Kinda like this



Austin and I having been quite successful now turn to Jason to catch his first fish so that we may smoke in victory. It is actually a bit long and tedious a wait in the mean time unfortunately a few fish meet their demise at our hands. 

A Fish!
 Good job Jason! Smallest one so far.

 Overall excellent fishing sesh and excellent catches.


BTW: My Bike

 
As I rode my demon of a road-bike home in the dark I observed a very interesting sound. It was a hyper-high frequency pulse emitted in the form of a beat, quite loud but observable as if from the inner ear.
My first reaction to the regularity and intensity of the phenomenon was an anti teenager sound device located in a passing building. I had heard such sound frequencies unobservable to a middle age individual but quite noticeable to young ears and read articles of businesses installing speakers to play the sound to discourage loitering for that very reason.

However as I road on the sound did not die, the harmony continued unabated as if following me. Ahah! the bicycle! I stopped peddling and the sound stopped: press energy into the peddle and the "squeek" (high frequency "cherp") emitted loud and clear. Because of the nature of the sound, I could only really hear it if my ear was pointed directly at the source. Speeding down the Street Dr. I could observe the sound most clearly when I passed flat building sides and signs. I thought of echolocation: a animal power only possessed by mammals. Bats dominate the terrestrial night sky due to their ability to "see" insects and landscapes in complete darkness through the power of sound emission and perception. In the vast oceans cetaceans has many species in its ranks who employ the use of echolocation to hunt the creatures of the deep.

I thought to myself: If I were blind, I could take advantage of this bikes behavior to effectively ride it in the streets home. By golly I knew the way, It might take a little practice but it could be done.
I decided to myself that I would wright of this phenomenon in my EPIC blog so I might as well have some pictures of the route.

This Left turn would be no problem with the hill flattening out and the sound clearly echoing off the parked RV.


This wooden bridge on the other hand with poles spaced at the entrance...maybe not.
Thank god I own eyeballs.

I almost died trying to get the picture after this...It didn't even take!




(I did not know how to spell signs before publishing this blog.)

2 comments:

  1. should have taken the left route....DOH!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhhh put the turt-le back in the wata

    the turtle es me y tu amigo

    ReplyDelete